Can cooking be intimidating for someone who is currently single? Why yes, it can, because if you are cooking only for yourself, it can be difficult. Most recipes online are meant for families or couples. Many may decide to just get take-out instead of cooking for themselves, but cooking is a fun experience that shouldn’t be skipped! Are you looking to cook for yourself and don’t know where to start? Well, look no further. Below are five easy and yummy recipes for you to cook and enjoy!
- Mix it Up! The first Recipe is a Turkey Chilli Recipe that can be found on Buzzfeed! To make it you first need to: “begin by cooking chopped onions, minced garlic and either a chopped red or yellow paper in a small skillet. Push the vegetales aside and brown the ground turkey in the same pan. Add the seasonings to the turkey and continue to cook. Add in diced tomatoes and beans and continue to cook for ten minutes more” (Zisk n.p). Now that to me seems like a warm and yummy meal to eat on a cold winter’s night.
- Pasta in another Form: The second easy and yummy recipe is one of my favorites, which is lasagna! First you’ll need some: “tomato sauce, olive oil, italian sausage, pepper, lasagna noodles, ground beef, salt, ricotta cheese, garlic, onions, salt, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese” (Zisk n.p.). Simple ingredients you can find at any grocery store. Now making it is just three easy steps! Step one: “Cook two lasagna noodles according to the package directions” (Zisk). Then you drain it and set it aside for now. “Next you cook the meat in a small skillet along with chopped onions, minced garlic, and the seasonings” (Zisk). While that cooks you add in the tomato sauce and let the sauce simmer. 3.) Finally you get to layer and cook it all together! “Layer the lasagna by lining a small bake pan or safe oven dish with the noodles.” (Zisk). Then you add it to all the other ingredients, and put a lot of cheese on top! This concludes for a yummy recipe that only takes thirty minutes to make!
- Eggs Sunny Side Up! They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Especially when one anticipates a busy day. An easy scrambled-egg recipe is what the day calls for: “Beat two eggs with salt and pepper”. “Melt butter in a non-stick skillet over medium-low, then add eggs”. “Then cook and stir for two minutes” (Brown n.p.). And ta-da! You now have an easy and healthy breakfast.
- Happy Hour anyone? Inspired by the hit television show Sex And The City, a cosmopolitan drink is just what every young single woman needs! For the ingredients you first need: “11/4oz of Smirnoff No. 21 Vodka, ¼ triple sec, 1 oz. of cranberry juice and 1 twist lemon” (Delish n.p.). Four simple ingredients you can pull together to make your drink: First: “In a shaker with ice, add Smirnoff No. 21 Vodka triple sec and cranberry juice” (Delish n.p.) Then you shake it before putting it into a martini glass. Once it’s poured into the glass you finish it right off with a lemon twist! With that, your’re now just like one of the girls from Sex and The City!
- Bring on the Dessert! Now onto the best part of the night, which is to enjoy something sweet. This calls for a Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie. The recipe calls for “2 tbsp of butter, 2 tbsp of brown sugar, 1 tbsp of caster sugar, 1 egg yolk, ¼ tsp of vanilla extract, ⅓ cup of plain flower, a pinch of salt, ⅛ tsp of baking soda, and ¼ of choc chips” (Byrne n.p.) Then you mix it and put it in the oven for about “12-14 minutes” (Brown n.p.). And then you get to enjoy a mouthwatering dessert to love.
Conclusion- How it Empowers You
Cooking for one can be hard, yes, but at the same time it can be really fun as you can concoct recipes, pick out the ingredients, and finally enjoy your masterpiece. The best part about cooking alone is that it empowers your singlehood! You and only you get to decide what you will eat and when. You can even have dessert first every once in a while. It all adds up and with these easy and yummy recipes, cooking alone is 100% worthwhile.
Brown, Natalie. “19 Easy Single-Person Cooking Ideas That Won’t Waste Food Or Get
Boring.” Tasty.co, Tasty, 19 May 2019, tasty.co/article/nataliebrown/cook-for-one-meals-for-one-small-batch-cooking.
Byrne, Christine. “17 Easy Single-Serve Desserts for Nights You Need a Little Something.” StyleCaster, StyleCaster, 16 Jan. 2019, stylecaster.com/easy-single-serve-desserts/#slide-6.
“Cosmopolitan.” Delish, Delish, 16 Sept. 2020, www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a2517/cosmopolitan-drink-recipes/.
Loewentheil, Hannah. “21 No-Fuss Dinner Ideas For One That Are Actually Practical.” BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed, 23 Feb. 2020,
Zisk, Joanie, et al. “Lasagna Recipe For One.” One Dish Kitchen, 9 Sept. 2020, onedishkitchen.com/lasagna-for-one/.
Zisk, Joanie. “Https://Onedishkitchen.com/Turkey-Chili/.” One Dish Kitchen, 11 Dec. 2019, onedishkitchen.com/turkey-chili/.